Go To Project Gutenberg

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

The Stranger

Once, I stood in a group of people. Maybe we were at some sort of a party. Maybe we were in a hospital. I don’t know.

Across the heads of my companions I noticed a startlingly handsome stranger with a flawless physique and chiseled face. From my vantage, I saw not a single flaw in him. My heart desired him, but I knew such a magnificent person would never be interested in someone of my limited charms. It was enough for me to admire him from across the room, and so I did.

Then, amazingly, after a time, he looked my way.

I went to him and let him whisper things in my ear –things he would show me, things I would experience with him. Like any smitten woman, I believed every word.

So, I ran off with him, never imagining that when he got me far, far away – from all I have ever known – I would learn he had many other lovers, of which I was only one. But because I thought him so beautiful, I forgave his infidelities. When we were alone, I felt certain it was me he loved most.

Only then did I begin to see other aspects to his character. There was a dangerous side to him. Despite being so beautiful and tender, he was also temperamental, sometimes shaking, crushing, suffocating, chilling, or shredding those who found themselves in his power. And yet, somehow, these cruelties seemed small in comparison - much smaller than his love.

Consequently, I learned to fear him only slightly less than I loved him. I also learned that this dance of dread and delight was shared by every one of his other lovers.

Despite my trepidations, I knew he had many more sensuous secrets to share. And so I determined to stay with him as long as circumstances allowed, encouraging his freedom to sway and seduce others. I am his co-conspirator, whatever that may bring.

His name is Alaska.

When he breathes in, it is summer.

Then, there is life in abundance, bursting forth from a formerly dead and frozen world. During the summer, every living thing – people, animals, trees, earth – quivers in an ecstatic orgasm of color and form.

When he breathes out again, the world becomes colder and quieter. First, it brightens to yellow and gold, then ebbs to brown, finally fading to white. All things are drained of life and color. But under a crystalline frozen blanket, all things are purified and renewed.

Including myself.

4 Comments:

At 11:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmmmm.... a little trepidation over winter or ready for purification..... Either way, looking forward to February ;-) Glad I read to the end, I was having trouble fitting Bruce in the picture that was being created.-KK

 
At 11:01 PM, Blogger Fish On Alaska said...

Yes, I did read this.

Signed,
Linda's not so chiseled husband

 
At 8:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not that you're not chiseled.... you just didn't seem quite that bi-polar...not a total "bad boy". I know bad boys, I've had bad boys..you're not a bad boy ;-)

 
At 12:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow you had me going with all those word pictures..and I wasn't unhappy with the reveal. Your strength is vivid pictures that evoke smells, colors, size and emotions. Keepit up then gather them together and do a book!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

web site traffic counters
Dyson Vacuum Cleaners