Go To Project Gutenberg

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

It’s a Beautiful Morning… I Think I’ll Go Outside for Awhile…


Life, lately, has been an exercise in perseverance in the face of discouragement. I don’t want to go into any details, but it’s fair to say that the Norovirus (the technical name for “kittens”) is largely to blame.

Being sick knocked us all down, and in my case has left me feeling vulnerable to every other minor or major setback in life, of which there are some daily.

But life goes on, as they say, so I continue to do laundry (a LOT of laundry), do errands, talk to friends, and go to work. This is a good thing. Getting out of bed has been hard the past couple of weeks.

Creatively, I feel a little dry, but I have at least a vague awareness that are three or four people who read this thing regularly (i.e. Lisa, Liz, Kaylin, Mom, Elaine – okay, at least five), so I feel I must perform for my “audience.” This is also a good thing. Having people to answer to (other than the kids) also helps me get out of bed every morning.

Yesterday morning was a beautiful one, with excellent visibility stretching the entire circumference of the horizon. The sun was diffused through a sheer curtain of pale gray clouds, casting glorious colors in every direction. Overhead were ribbons of lavender, pink and gold clouds. McKinley and Foraker were rose-colored, and Susitna and the Alaska Range were brilliant white. I was itching to grab the camera and go take pictures, but the kids were grumpy (especially the pre-kitten Ellie) and it was getting on lunch-time. (Should NOT have fed Ellie that strawberry-flavored ice-cream bar.)

This morning again dawned clear, so, reminded of yesterday’s foiled yearnings, I went picture-taking today instead. It was about 20 degrees at the Glen Alps overlook with about an inch of quickly sublimating snow and a sparkling coat of frost. The lighting wasn’t quite as good as yesterday, but the view was beautiful nonetheless. Ellie, resistant towards getting her picture taken, and Evan, who was consciously experiencing snow for the first time, had a great time thumping around and scraping the icy ground.

No great profound epiphanies struck me during this time surrounded by magnificent creation. The pictures I took didn’t turn out as good as I’d hoped. It was a struggle man-handling Ellie and Evan into their snow clothes, then maneuvering them around on the icy path. Nevertheless, it was a worthwhile outing. There is something about space and water and mountains and snow – things that are much bigger than I am – that is comforting. I may not feel different, but I can't help but believe I am a little better.

“And after [Jesus] had sent the multitudes away, He went up to the mountain by Himself to pray; and when it was evening, He was there alone.”
– Matt 14: 23 (NASB)

“It is He who sits above the vault of the earth,
And its inhabitants are like grasshoppers,
Who stretches out the heavens like a curtain
And spreads them out like a tent to dwell in.”
– Isaiah 40: 21

“As the mountains surround Jerusalem,
So the Lord surrounds His people
From this time forth and forever.”
– Psalm 125:2

“I will lift up my eyes to the mountains;
From whence shall my help come?
My help comes from the Lord,
Who made heaven and earth.”
– Psalm 121:1-2

Despite living in the lowlands, I realize I can go visit the High Places any time I want. And even if I can’t accurately reproduce for others the beauty of them using words or pictures, I carry them inside where the High Places continue to stir me.

Whether fogged-in or awaiting the dawn, even in the dark, I know they are there.

2 Comments:

At 8:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for getting up this morning, and for reminding me how wonderful the High Places are. Just keep writing, as you are able.

Love,
Liz

 
At 10:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see it!!! You make it sound so amazing. Good for you having the energy after endless kittens to get out. Again demonstrating how you are a better person than I....k

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

web site traffic counters
Dyson Vacuum Cleaners