Go To Project Gutenberg

Saturday, February 09, 2008

Strange Times


So, something weird is happening. I've gotten very little "proper" reading done this week because I've been so busy obsessing over my new "boyfriend", Barack Obama.

I am the most politically apathetic person I have ever met. I'm probably the most politcally apatethic person YOU'VE ever met, too. But for the last several days, I've been watching speeches, donating money, ordering lapel pins, cutting and pasting pro-Obama HTML code, checking numbers of "won" delegates between the leading Democratic nominees, poring over the newpaper.....
Whew. It's exhausting.

Everytime I think about how this man is causing people who were NEVER before interested in politics to become interested; everytime I hear about people crossing party lines to support Obama; everytime I watch some new music video online dedicated to Obama, I have to dab tears from my eyes.

For me to get interested and involved, this means something is different.

I live in a state where, until a couple days ago, Mitt Romney was king (until he pulled out). It's a weird place to live being a fundamental Christian and an Obama supporter.

TRULY GREAT men and women rarely make it to the public forum. Worldwide, it happens maybe a few times in a generation. And often, the public doesn't realize it until after-the-fact. Many of the passionate, others-oriented people who might make a profound difference in the world, avoid the spotlight, and even more so, avoid playing games.

Barack Obama is a light in the darkness.

6 Comments:

At 2:49 PM, Blogger Liz in Seattle said...

He is charismatic, that's for sure! However, I'm a McCain supporter, because he's experienced and very moderate. I'm more of a centrist in my old age, with some lefty stuff and righty stuff. Some would call me a crunchy-con. But there you go. At least this election I don't have to run puking from the voting booth because both options made me so ill.

 
At 1:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! Another Obama supporter in the family! JE and I went to the Washington Caucuses last weekend to vote for him, because it actually counted. It was 15-2 for Obama at our table, and almost that spread statewide. Lots of fun, unless you were a Hillary fan. Karen

 
At 6:27 AM, Blogger Liz in Seattle said...

Yeah, I heard an NPR report the other day which postulated Hillary's nomination => McCain's victory, while Obama's nomination would lead straight to the White House. Even with my preference for McCain, in most arenas I still prefer Obama to Shrub ;-)

See you in a couple of days! Need anything from Trader Joe's? Call me :-)

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger kq1226 said...

Does Bruce know you have a "boyfriend"? :-) Seems to me he would find this worrisome. Hee Hee

Welcome to the Obama side. We welcome you with open arms!

 
At 1:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, How the mighty have fallen....and for a rock star!

 
At 10:20 PM, Blogger Linda said...

"Where is the wise man? Where is the scholar? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?" (1 Corinthians 1:20)

I never professed to be wise. I never professed to be a scholar. I never professed to be mighty.

In the end, isn't it all just smoke and spitting in the wind?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

web site traffic counters
Dyson Vacuum Cleaners