Go To Project Gutenberg

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Curious Package

There was a book-sized box left on my front doorstep this afternoon by the postman. Though I am expecting boxes from Old Navy and Birthday Express, this wasn’t from either of those vendors. I didn’t recognize the sender; it was partially covered up by a zip code sticker.

Hefting the box, it was clear it contained a book. I was baffled. I didn’t remember ordering a book. I’ve been trying to be good, and read what I’ve got for awhile.

Before even opening the box, I peeled back the sticker covering the return address saw it was from CAIR, the Council on American-Islam Relations.

Ah, yes. I remember. The box contained my own personal, brand-spanking-new copy of the Quran.

For just the slightest moment, I hesitated opening the box. What if the CAIR is just a front organization for Al-Qaeda? What if, when I opened the box, there was anthrax or a small bomb inside?

Thinking such thoughts shames me. It just goes to show how destructive and insidious fear can be. When I shy away from the organization whose sole purpose is to educate and break down barriers between Muslims and non-Muslims, it is definitely time to make nice and ask some serious forgiveness.

1 Comments:

At 2:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

L,

While I laud their self proclaimed mission of promoting mutual understanding, I have my own problems w/ CAIR. Particularly their understanding and treatment of the truth. Keep in mind that most Muslims wouldn't look on what you have as the Q'uran. A translation CAN'T be the same as the origional. In fact, in previous ages persons who attempted to translate the Q'uran were condemned as heretics. A serious accusation in a religion where heresy carries a death sentence.

For another slice on your upcoming reading, check out
http://www.memri.org/


I look forward to LOTS of really interesting talks w/ you & B in a few weeks. :)


Peace -

sf

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

web site traffic counters
Dyson Vacuum Cleaners