Go To Project Gutenberg

Monday, April 07, 2008

First Quarter Reads

Currently reading:














The following are the books I read the first three months of 2008.

January


#1 "The Year of Living Biblically" by A.J. Jacobs*
#2 "Born Standing Up" by Steve Martin
#3 "A Prayer for Owen Meany" by John Irving*
#4 "Two for the Dough" by Janet Evanovich
#5 "Talking Hands" by Margalit Fox
#6 "Empress of Asia" by Adam Lewis Schroeder
#7 "The Invention of Hugo Cabret" by Brian Selznik
#8 "Disappearance: A Map" by Sheila Nickerson
#9 "Heart-Shaped Box" by Joe Hill
#10 "On Chesil Beach" by Ian McEwan*

February
#11 "The Chess Machine" by Robert Lohr
#12 "The Dead Fathers Club" by Matt Haig
#13 "Danny Gospel" by David Athey
#14 "Take This Bread" by Sara Miles*
#15 "The Translator" by Daoud Hari*
#16 "Patrick" by Stephen Lawhead

March
#17 "People of the Book" by Geraldine Brooks*
#18 "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" by Jeff Kinney
#19 "Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules" by Jeff Kinney
#20 "Nine Parts of Desire" by Geraldine Brooks*
#21 "Wrack and Ruin" by Don Lee
#22 "The Other Boleyn Girl" by Philippa Gregory
#23 "I, Elizabeth" by Rosalind Miles*

The only book of the above that I truly didn't like was "Danny Gospel". It was an Advanced Readers edition for LibraryThing. The books I marked with an asterisk (*) are those that I would highly recommend, though for different reasons.

Right now I'm working on Robert Rankin's "The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse". It's very funny and entertaining and a good break between ARCs (Advanced Reader Copy; I just finished the new Salman Rushdie this morning (EXCELLENT!), and then got my next ARC this afternoon shortly after starting "Hollow Chocolate Bunnies").

Rankin isn't well-known in the U.S.; he reminds me of Christopher Moore, Jasper Fforde, and Terry Prachett. He's worth looking into. As if you couldn't gauge from the title, he's a bit of a humorist.

If you have any specific questions about why I liked what I did, don't hesitate to ask.

Okay, so that's enough of a post for now. Back to reading.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 2:23 PM, Blogger Terri B. said...

I can't wait to get to my ARC of Salman Rushdie book! Glad to hear you liked it.

Thanks for the heads-up on Rankin. Hadn't heard of him and I LOVE Pratchett and very much like Fforde.

 
At 8:23 AM, Blogger Liz in Seattle said...

Funny,I didn't see any of those chocolate bunnies at Modern Dwellers...

I'll take a look at Rankin (he's on the list after the full Ender series, and the books you recommended). I love Fforde, and Steve can't recommend Pratchett highly enough (he keeps hinting to me).

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Fish On Alaska said...

You need to read more. I am slipping in my duties to allow you to do just that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

web site traffic counters
Dyson Vacuum Cleaners