Go To Project Gutenberg

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Winding Down

Today was not my easiest day ever.

May this be the last mention of marathon baking for a long, long time...

Well, I'm done. The cookies are packaged and ready to be delivered to school tomorrow. From the picture it doesn't look like much, considering the work involved. (Of course, not pictured are the 20-dozen cookies I'm keeping.)

Tomorrow morning I'm sending 14-dozen to school. I'm making Bruce take the kids to school.

I loved (not) Jack's response to the pepperkakar cookies that I slaved over all afternoon. I had warned him and Sabrina on the way home from school that they were still all over the kitchen counters and that they looked wonderful. However, when Honest Jack saw them he said, "Hm. They don't look like much to me." He really didn't mean to totally crush me.

Nor did he mean to totally crush me when he neglected to thank me for not only making and packaging all the cookies, but also helping him make a scarecrow tonight. Yes, a scarecrow.

The, dinner sucked. It was the one from last night that I way underestimated the cooking time for. It tasted worse than dog food (I would know). Bruce politely ate all his and Ellie ate some of hers, but Evan spit it out. (The leftovers will be dogfood.)

I said to the kids, "Look, I don't like it either, but I'm still eating it!"

One bite later, and I was saying, "You know what? It's not worth it. I'm done."

So we're all a bit hungry tonight. But you won't see me filling up on cookies. Yuck!

My "best part" of the day was that, while digging through drawers looking for AAA batteries, I stumbled across much-coveted picture hangers, so I went to town hanging a bunch of dust-covered paintings that had previously been stored under the guest bed. No one noticed.

We are having chilly weather in Anchorage, well below normal for this time of year. The forecast for the next several days are daytime highs of 15 degrees and lows at night around 5. Brrr. Thank God for polar fleece and wool.

Well, I'm going to read for a bit. Try to zone out of too much reality. If I did this every day (there are moms who do) they'd have to put me away.

1 Comments:

At 9:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

On the bright side...you saved a little $$$ off your dog food budget for the month :-)

You rock, baker woman. I couldn't even go there.

Brendan informed me last night that not only would I need to drive him (and his cello) to strings practice (and back) today, I'd need to drive him (and his cello) to school (and back) tomorrow, for his "performance" in music class. I see the future, and it involves bulky stringed instruments and many miles on the van. What does this have to do with anything? I don't know, but don't you love how they DROP these things (like cellos and scarecrows) on your plans at the last second?

OTOH, how long will they be enamored of cellos and scarecrows?

Enjoy your day!

Love,
Liz

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

web site traffic counters
Dyson Vacuum Cleaners