Go To Project Gutenberg

Sunday, June 01, 2008

April & May 2008 Reads

Is it really already June? That means only four weeks until our Seattle vacation. This evokes an excited/anxious response in me. I have a hard time being away from home.

Our summer break from school began on May 23rd. The kids have been running and playing ever since. I spent the course of five or so days raking the yard. Now I'm working on clearing out the wooded area behind the house. I cut down eight or so trees of varying sizes.

Yesterday I purchased a mattock to get some of the deader, older tree stumps out of the ground. While its been wonderful to be outside and doing physical labor of varying degrees, the birch pollen that saturates the air is making it difficult to any beyond blow my nose.

I'm still reading as much as I can, between doing dishes, laundry, and heaving my mattock. What I read in April and May are as follows.

April 2008
"Lying Awake" by Mark Salzman (a book club pick)
"The Enchantress of Florence" by Salman Rushdie (an ARC for LibraryThing)
"The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse" by Robert Rankin
"Imagine Me and You" by Billy Mernit (another ARC for LibraryThing)
"Time and Again" by Jack Finney (a book club pick)
"Lunch Money" by Andrew Clements (YA, recommended by Jack)
"Dervishes" by Beth Helms (another ARC for LibraryThing)
"The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian" by Sherman Alexie (so far, hands down, the best book of all May and June)
"Belong To Me" by Marisa de los Santos (very uplifting; recommended)

May 2008
"Bridge of Birds" by Barry Hughart
"Duma Key" by Stephen King (a great intro to King for people who don't think they would ever like him)
"America America" by Ethan Canin (ARC for LT; lucky me!)
"Avalon High" by Meg Cabot (YA; a contemporary retelling of the King Arthur legend in a high school setting; very fun)
"Twilight" by Stephenie Meyer (YA; teenage vampire/human romance; read the whole six hundred pages in a day)
"Jim the Boy" by Tony Earley (a lovely coming-of-age, Depression-Era story)

That's it! April was great, May a little on the slacker-side. If I wasn't currently reading two books at once, I might have been able to squeeze out one more.

Currently reading:

"Bonk" by Mary Roach (a book about sex research; very "revealing")
"Enchantment" by Orson Scott Card (a book club pick)

So that's the reading skinny. I have quite a few recently purchased books that I'm dying to get to. Which, in fact, I think I'll do right now.

3 Comments:

At 7:42 AM, Blogger Terri B. said...

I got one of the ARCs of Enchantress of Florence also. Finished reading it and just sat there wondering what the heck to write in a review! I think I finally managed to convery that I liked it. That was the first Rushdie book I've read. I've got Belong to Me on a list of books I'd like to read. Keep hearing good things about it. Have fun in Seattle!

 
At 2:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoo hoo to the trip to Seattle. Although it's hard to be away from home I'm beyond excited to have you guys down here!!! Mason is dying to meet you and the kids are out of control excited to see your kids. I am beyond impressed at your lumberjacking skills and empathize on the nose. We've been having a heck of a time with pollen this year. We finish school on 6/12.-xox K

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger kq1226 said...

Whoo Hoo for the Seattle trip!!! Can't wait to spend time with you guys. I know John Wesley will be thrilled. He talks about his cousins almost daily! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

web site traffic counters
Dyson Vacuum Cleaners